Critical thinking of My Friend The Murderer By Conan Doyle

From the pen of the creator of Sherlock Holmes, this is another collection of thrilling adventures. Revolving around themes such as murder, mystery, unsolved crimes and ghosts, the work depicts Doyle's interest in the super-natural, which lets the readers experience extreme exhilaration.
I am going to talk about the plot in this story. How at first the doctor seems does not care and all in sudden it changed when head warder say 82’s name? Is he going to tell his whole story to the doctor or not? Let us see, then.

CONTENT
At the beginning, the doctor and head warder talk about their patient at the jail. The beginning of the story start when head warder talk about suspicious this person labeled 82. As you can see, I’m going to quote some from the story
“"Nothing else to report, I suppose, warder?"
The official protruded his head a little further into the room. "Beg pardon, doctor," he said, in a confidential tone, "but I notice as 82 has a bit of a cold, and it would be a good excuse for you to visit him and have a chat, maybe."
The cup of coffee was arrested half-way to my lips as I stared in amazement at the man's serious face.
"An excuse?" I said. "An excuse? What the deuce are you talking about, McPherson? You see me trudging about all day at my practice, when I'm not looking after the prisoners, and coming back every night as tired as a dog, and you talk about finding an excuse for doing more work."
"You'd like it, doctor," said Warder McPherson, insinuating one of his shoulders into the room. "That man's story's worth listening to if you could get him to tell it, though he's not what you'd call free in his speech. Maybe you don't know who 82 is?"
"No, I don't, and I don't care either," I answered, in the conviction that some local ruffian was about to be foisted upon me as a celebrity.
"He's Maloney," said the warder, "him that turned Queen's evidence after the murders at blue-mansdyke."
"You don't say so?" I ejaculated, laying down my cup in astonishment.”
After that ‘astonishment’ time, Doctor took his time to talk to him.
“THE MALONEY”

In case you can not see how it works, the doctor said that he is so tired and he acknowledge all of his patient. He will not do different treatment for others. There is no special nor lesspecial; for him their all same. Their patient. But something inside him jump around when he hear the Maloney’s name being called.

This is how the plot of story started. By only saying his name. Maloney.
The second point of this analysis is is Maloney tell his story to doctor? The answer mght be yes. Because in this story, the narrative changes. Maloney becaome the second narrator in this story, that is how why people like this story. Let me put some parts of the story where Maloney began to tell his story to Doctor;
“"How's your chest?" I asked, putting on my professional air.
"Come, drop it, doctor—drop it!" he answered, showing a row of white teeth as he resumed his seat upon the side of the bed. "It wasn't anxiety after my precious health that brought you along here; that story won't wash at all. You came to have a look at Wolf Tone Maloney, forger, murderer, Sydney-slider, ranger, and government peach. That's about my figure, ain't it? There it is, plain and straight; there's nothing mean about me."”
And that is how he started to tell the Doctor his story, step-by-step he tell the Doctor.
“Mr. Maloney had the reputation of being not only the most wholesale murderer that ever lived, but also of having a finish and attention to detail in matters of evidence which has been unapproached by any European criminal. Sic transit gloria mundi!"”


https://www.arthur-conan-doyle.com/index.php?title=My_Friend_the_Murderer


Dinda Almasella Rustam
63715012

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Raven and Its Analysis of Edgar Allen Poe as an Anti-Transcendentalism

ANALYZING THE PLOT IN “IN THE YEAR 2889” BY JULES VERNE THROUGH SEQUENCE OF EVENTS

Pride, Racism, and Karma in Desiree’s Baby